Monday, June 3, 2013

Gilmore Girls Mondays: Week 1

Starting this month, along with my two online besties Molli and Jessica, I'm doing a Gilmore Girls rewatch-along. Every Monday I'll be talking about the episodes I watched each week, sharing my thoughts plus favourite quotes, scenes, etc. If you want to join in, you can tweet with us using the hashtag #GilmoreGirls, and if you want to join in the discussions, feel free to grab my graphic and create posts of your own, or just comment with your thoughts.

*Note: I'm not actually going to share my thoughts on the episodes I watched this week. Even though I got a few episodes in, I want to give my partners in crime some time to catch up and watch the first few episodes, plus if anyone else sees this and decides to join in, you'll have a week to get started!





I was a couple months shy of turning 17 when Gilmore Girls started airing in 2000. It became an instant favourite - I loved Lorelai and Rory and their crazy, fun, slightly dysfunctional, but oh-so-special relationship. I loved Star’s Hollow and its eccentric inhabitants. I related to Rory in that I was shy and bookish and didn’t have many friends.

It was one of those shows that really spoke to me and had special significance along with a treasured place in my heart. I grew up alongside Rory, and I shared in her triumphs and failures the way you would a real life friend. I related to her and to the show in so many ways, and I consider it one of the defining shows of my youth.

Another great thing about the show: it brought my mum and me closer. She didn’t watch with me from the beginning, but when the TV in my bedroom died and we had to start sharing the main TV in the living room, I convinced her to watch it with me. She had mixed feelings at first - she liked it but found it exhausting because of all the chatter and banter and references she didn’t get. After awhile, she got used to it and started to love the show as much as I did. It became our thing, and to this day we still have Gilmore Girls related inside jokes.

The last time I rewatched the show, I watched from seasons 1-5, but I didn't own 6 and 7 yet. I didn't mind because they were my least favourite seasons - I didn't like the direction the show took, and I was really unhappy with the ending. I finally picked up seasons 6 and 7 on sale last year and I'd been wanting to do a rewatch for awhile but kept watching other shows instead. After I reviewed Lauren's Graham debut novel, Someday, Someday, Maybe, Molli suggested we should rewatch the show together, and it seemed like the perfect excuse to finally watch it again. Then Jess decided to join us, and I spent what felt like forever excitedly counting down the days until June 1st so I could be reunited with the Gilmores!

 
Do you remember how you felt when you first started watching Gilmore Girls? How old were you? How many times have you watched the series?





2 comments:

Jessica L. Tate said...

I've only ever seen season one all the way through once a few years back. :P I can kinda relate to your mom on it feeling exhausting at times. It's very amusing and hilarious, but sometimes there's so much going on I'm like "Ahhh!!!" Lol. But it cracks me up. ;) I'll probably be doing a post every other week since I don't know how many episodes I'll be able to get in each week. So I'm going to start next week. :)

Unknown said...

I'm going to be doing a new-ish series on my blog (I've already done one post for it awhile back on Robyn Schneider's THE BEGINNING OF EVERYTHING) where I incorporate a bit of show/music/movie talk when it comes to ones that inspire me, and I'll probably work one in this summer about our GG rewatch.

Ahhh, this show. 2000, JEEZ. That was a hard time in my life because that was when my parents were separating/getting back together/having troubles, so Gilmore Girls and Dawson's Creek really became my safe haven shows, and they taught me so much about family, friends, love, and myself. Plus like you, I related to Rory because I was WAY different as a teen/in high school than I am now.

Cannot wait to start seeing your reactions to eps, and how we match up on fave characters and pairings. Right now little!Dean is in the show and I'm like AHHH SAMMY! LOL The earlier seasons really WERE just the best.