Wednesday, May 29, 2013

That Time I Went Up the CN Tower


 
That Time I… was started by Alex from Let Life Be Like Music and Emily from Inhabit Your Moments, and is being used with their permission. Be sure to visit their blogs on Wednesdays to read their That Time I…

That time I....went up the CN Tower in Toronto

 
I only live two hours away from Toronto. I’ve been seeing the CN Tower my whole life, and I’ve always been fascinated by it. Even though I’ve been to Toronto countless times (my dad spent two years in and out of a cancer hospital in Toronto when I was little, plus it was a popular place for school trips, and I’ve seen plays, Stars on Ice, and concerts there), I never had a chance to actually go up the CN Tower. A friend and I went inside once and wandered around, but we didn’t have time to go up.

When I got tickets to see U2 in July 2011, I was determined that would be when I’d finally go up the CN Tower. Amanda (my sister-in-law) and I went to Toronto the day before the concert and played tourists. We went to the beach, drove around, wandered around, and I finally, finally, got my wish to go up in the CN Tower.





I bought the tickets as part of Amanda’s birthday gift (her birthday was a few days before and I’d given her a ‘coupon’ saying I’d buy her ticket…yes, I’m a nerd), and we went inside and wandered around for a bit while we worked up the courage to actually go up. I’m not really afraid of heights (it depends on the place and situation), but she is, so we took our time. After awhile we went through security (you have to step through this thing that blows air all over you - it scared the crap out of me, but I guess it’s to detect bomb residue or something?) and headed toward the elevator. 


We zoomed to the top in the crazy-fast elevator and headed for the windows to look out. It was incredible to see the whole city from that high up. It was really hot that day, so it was pretty smoggy, but we still had a good view.




Then we went to the glass floor. I had absolutely no intention of going on it (remember how I said I wasn't afraid of heights except in certain situations? Yeah, standing on a glass floor 1,000+ feet above the ground would be one of them), but then I realized the experience wouldn't be complete without doing it. It took me forever to work up the courage, but I held Amanda's hand and finally managed to step onto the glass. She had even less intention of getting on than I did, but I finally convinced her to do it. It was both terrifying and thrilling, and I felt good about myself for doing something so far outside my comfort zone. I even added a similar scene into my third novel where the main character and her boyfriend visit the CN Tower and step onto the glass together.

Top left: holding Amanda's hand while I stepped onto the glass and she took a picture; right: somehow I worked up the courage to sit down; bottom: my feet (notice my broken left sandal) and the view - insane!

I would love to go up in the CN Tower again someday. I think it'd be really fun to do with someone who's either never been to Toronto before, or never been up the tower.

Have you been in the CN Tower? Are you afraid of heights? What's something you've done that was outside your comfort zone?




3 comments:

Jessica L. Tate said...

I'm not a fan of heights, which is funny because I used to ride every rollercoaster at Cedar Point, lol. I think that the fact I was moving made the difference--I was only up high for a moment, and then I was down again. But I think over the years I've gotten better with it. I would LOVE to do this when I come up to visit if we have enough time. :)

Anonymous said...

I've been there when in high school, the senior band when to Toronto to see a musical (we saw the Lion King) and that was one of the things we did. I can't remember if I stepped on the glass, but I remember being a bit freaked out by the idea of looking down and seeing everything so teeny tiny.

Unknown said...

Someday when I come visit you, we'll go together! The glass floor creeps me out some, but I would still love to say I'd stepped out onto it. I got chills reading this and remembering that moment from WFTS!

<3