Sunday, May 20, 2012

Fun Finds - flip flops and hair tamers


Confession time: I'm a hermit. A lot of writers are hermits, but I also have some social anxiety issues (also common among writers, which I just recently learned, and which made me feel a lot better). I don't get out much - I work a lot, and I watch my 2-year-old nephew, Logan, 4-5 days a week. Most of my friends have either moved away, or have gotten married and/or had kids, so I don't have many friends to hang out with. 

I've been feeling really stuck lately, and getting tired of the same routine and these same four walls, so on Friday, I decided it was time to go out. It's a long weekend here in Canada, and I have 4 days off from watching Logan, so I wanted to take that time to have a bit of fun and get some things done.

I used to go to the library at least once a week, wander around, and then sit and read. I hadn't done that yet this year, so I did that on Friday with my mum. We spent about an hour at the library (if you'd like to see what I got, I'm also a book blogger, and I did a Book Haul vlog at my book blog), then went to Giant Tiger to look around. It was a gorgeous spring day, and it was so nice to be out in the sunshine and fresh air. We also went out Saturday and hit the dollar store and Walmart. Two days in a row - a recent record for me, and it was beautiful both days, so I feel better about having been out.

One of my childhood best friends is getting married in four weeks, and her bridal shower and bachelorette party are next Saturday, so I was hoping to get a new shirt, and I need a gift for her. Here's the thing...another confession: I don't like shopping. I think it's because I've never had a lot of money, and the times I have had money (like right now - it's a rarity), I can't find anything I want or need. I've been busting my butt working out and eating healthier the last few months, and it's taking my body FOREVER to change, but because I'm between sizes, nothing fits properly, so nothing looks good. I'm in desperate need of a new bra, and I tried on probably six over the course of Friday and Saturday, and couldn't find one that fit right. ARGH! I also wasn't able to find a shirt for the shower or an outfit for the wedding. Double argh.

I did, however, manage to find two pairs of sandals. I have the worst time finding shoes because my feet are big and wide, and it's nearly impossible to find my size. I couldn't believe it when I found not one, but two pairs of sandals for only $5 each. What's great about them is that I can wear them for casual days, or for dressier occasions.

I was also really happy to find a pair of black cotton capris for only $7 that I'll wear for working out (I didn't take a picture of those, because I'm wearing them, haha).

I also needed some 'beauty' products. I was really hoping to get some John Freida Frizz Ease, but I didn't want to pay $9 for it. I was lucky enough to get some hand-me-down John Frieda shampoo and conditioner from a friend of a friend who was cleaning out her bathroom. I have super thick, super curly hair that's about halfway down my back, and it's getting out of control. This is the longest I've ever had it, and I love the length, but it's really frizzy and it never does what I want. I keep seeing all these beautiful hairstyles on Pinterst and on blogs, and thinking they look simple, but when I go to actually do them, my hair won't cooperate. 

I ended up getting Fructis Curl Sculpting Cream Gel, and TRESemmé Curl Defining Spray Gel. Together, they cost less than the John Freida stuff. I'm eager to see how they work. I love both Fructis and TRESemmé, so I'm hoping they're what I need. I also finally got a new compact - I have super shiny skin (it's a pain, no matter what facial wash or moisturizer I use, I can't get rid of the shine), so I'm glad to have that before next weekend when we'll be taking lots of pics. I also got some Bonnbell tinted lip gloss at the dollar store - I have really pale lips, and I think actual lipstick looks strange on me, so this was a good compromise...plus it was a dollar, you can't beat that!


My last fun find was a cute little Moulin Rouge notebook, also at the dollar store. I joined the DayZero Project, and started a 101 in 1001 list, and I wanted to have a journal to keep track of my goals and progress. As a writer, I've always been a fiend for notebooks - I have dozens of them, but I thought I should have a separate one for goals. 


And finally, on Saturday afternoon, I thought it was time for a self portrait after my little adventures into the 'normal world'. This is me:

I've been experimenting with braids. They're about the only thing I can do with my hair, but hopefully that'll change with my new hair products! I actually had a girl compliment me on my side braid on Friday. :-)

I have a million and one things to do over the next two days, but I might go shopping again, because I really do need a new bra, and I'm still hoping for a new shirt for the bridal shower. Plus, I got one gift for the shower, but I need something else. I was supposed to go shopping with another childhood friend who's my date to the shower and wedding, but I think she's forgotten about me, so I'm on my own for now!

Have you tried any of the products I mention in this post? Did you have any fun finds this weekend?

 


1 comment:

Jessica L. Tate said...

Your hair looks so pretty with that braid! I can't remember the last time I french braided my hair. Those shoes are cute. ^_^ I need to find a pair like one of them!